Monday, August 08, 2011

Book Review: The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

I read a book!  A real book!

I picked it up in Kuala Lumpur,  actually I did look for a book in Sydney, but most of the travel lit, was about some woman going overseas falling in love, coming back, missing him/her/it. Going back, falling in love blah, blah, blergh!

But in KL, they have an amazing english bookstore, (cant remember the name, store colour was burgundy) and excellent range of cookbooks (1st section), a craft section (2nd favourite).   I also popped by the travel section to see if I could find a travel book on Italy for Mum, but instead found "The Sweet Life in Paris, by David Lebovitz.


Price was right, sounded intriguing, and the only torrid romance affair involved ice-cream and cakes.

I actually didnt have a chance to pick up the book to read until AFTER we left Paris! But in a way I am glad, as it made me understand the Parisians species a little bit better.

Yes they were rude and a little snobby, But if you live in a wonderful place like Paris, I reckon the tourist are a bit like a flock of seagulls, dive-bombing in squawking, pecking, touching, taking, and not spending enough time to say thanks and show appreciation.

So back to the book. It's light hearted read, nothing deep, it points out cultural differences that one only experiences when they live there long term.  Its got dedication to food, with a focus on sweets (my favourite topic) scenarios of man candy drool (every girls favourite topic) and its so well written you feel the writers emitions conflict and bemusement about living in Paris.

The chapter about the cleaning maid had me cracking out in giggles,  garnering a few odd looks from passerbys,  I even shared it with Steph reading out some of the chapter so he could share in the moment.

So if you looking for a foodie read   Get it here, cos you wont get it at Dymocks

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City
By David Lebovitz


No comments: