Monday, June 28, 2010

Cake Flour, Plain Flour, Bread Flour

Good Article on Flour:

I have had to learn about the flours ever since i started baking.  I have learnt that the three flours above differ by the amount of protein/gluten low to high respectively and some additives.

Now I'm about to venture into the realm of Chinese Steam Buns  More



Dad use to make Steamed Pork Buns, (Cha Sui Bao) and he would never get white buns. He tried so often that we as kids were sick of them.  Even to this day, I'm reluctant to order them at yum cha!  Lucky LohGoon reminds me and we manage to fit a few in :D

I have since learnt that the right flour for Steam Buns is cake flour, it has absorbic acid which if the internet is to be believed and bleached nature...

But another flour?!? Is there a substitute???

Thank god there is!

If you don't want 3 jars of flour. You can swing between the three by doing the following:

Cake Flour = 1cup of Plain Flour MINUS 2 Tablespoons of Plain Flour + 2 Tablespoons of Corn Starch
Bread Flour = 1cup of Plain Flour PLUS 2 Tablespoons of Plain Flour + 2 Tablespoons of Wheat Germ

Simple really.


2 comments:

YW said...

that's a pretty good tip... very often I looked at recipe and though "I'm not gonna buy so many different kinds of flour.. so can forget about making it.. " hahaha..

Eva said...

Thanks YW.

I have the same problem I know I'll focus on bread flour and plain flour. Its a relief to know i dont have to buy cake flour too.

I want to make some cute buns!