Saturday, May 24, 2008

Steamboat 2008

Wow its been a while since I've posted!

Annual steamboat time, and this year I wanted to focus on seafood. I had an idea that crab would be an ideal new addition to the cooking pot.

We had it early this year as Vi was heading off to London (the city of great opportunities and bad food).

Planning started a while back, always with a brainstorm of suitable ingredients. The previous weekend, i had organised a shopping list. which Vi had vetted and informed me to cater for 10... (how painful!) Did I listen? No.

I ended up buy 8 different variety of green leaf vegetables (that didn't include mushrooms and other vegetable matter)
Seafood selection: Prawns, Salmon, School Mackerel, Squid, Crab (Swimmer and Mud), More Prawns, Tuna... i think there's more?

I was a bit to busy to take photos but here is a selection of everyone else's.

For dessert (yes there was room!) I asked Eric to bring over some blood orange sorbet and I made some chocolate pots to go with it. Those asking for the recipe go here. Basically its a heart-stopping mixture of Cream, Dark Chocolate, Butter, Egg Yolks and a good splash of Cognac.
I also made cocktails made that night
  • Fruit Tingle - Blue Curacao, Vodka, Peach Schnapps/Brandy, Lemonade, Raspberry Cordial, loads of Ice
  • Watermelon and Mint Daiquiri - Bacardi Rum, Strawberry Liqueur, Fresh Mint, Watermelon Pieces, Sugar Syrup, loads of Ice
  • Fluffy Duck - Advocaat, Gin, Lemonade, Cream, and Ice (this is a classic and very yum. normally its shaken and poured over ice, but the blender allows bulk hence the slushy ice texture)

No comments: