Cupcakes - trendy sugar filled bite sized goodness, decadent and luxurious treats. Except when I bake them. Theyre always dry over sweet, not sweet enough. (I'm having a dad moment!) So on the Anzac Long Weekend, I spent the time perfecting a cupcake recipe.
Basic Vanilla Cupcakes
125g Butter, room temp, chopped
2/3 caster sugar + a bit more for luck
1tb vanilla extract ( you ARE making vanilla cupcakes here!!)
2 eggs room temp
1 3/4 cup of self raising flour
2/3 cup of light milk
1-2 tbs olive oil
- Beat the sugar and butter until light in colour and creamy, rub a it of it between your fingers, you shouldn't feel any graininess. (resist licking at this stage)
- Add 1 tbs vanilla sugar beat that in too (resist the urge to lick)
- Add the eggs in one at a time and beat those in too
- watch the mixture, if its beginning to split, pop it in the fridge for a little bit, then beat again.
- Sift the flour and fold into the batter with the milk in turns i.e. Flour / Milk / Flour / Milk / Flour. always start with flour end with flour. (god know why)
- Scoop or pipe into patty cases in the muffin tray.
- Bake in fan force oven for 125 Degrees Celsius at 17mins
- Skewer to test doneness then pull out of the oven. after 5 mins turn out onto cooling rack. Wait till cool before icing.
- Add olive oil.
- Always pipe the mixture in. Spooning is messy and results in uneven cupcakes.
- Lower temperature - better cooking slowly, than fast and hot
- Reduce Time - check constantly.
- Use the Fridge, - cooling the mixture seems to help.
- Strain out the orange zest before piping the chocolate zigzags
- Chocolate Icing is messy stuff
- Pandan Cupcake Tray needs heavy greasing. Otherwise all you're left with is muffin tops
Ed and Steph are all sugared out. Now i have to try them out on work colleagues