Chocolate Chip Double Choc Chip, White Choc-Maca… but no ANZAC… fine.
Go across the road, nope, none there. Only Sultana and Cinammon, Choc Chip… Grr!
Next Stop: Art Giotto Cafe - They had a choice of Fig and Pecan or Sticky Date and Ginger!
No ANZAC! OR Florentines for that matter!
What is the world coming to?!? ANZAC biscuits should be staple! Not a seasonal delight!
Half hour later, disgusted I walk back to the office and declaring that it was easier for me to go home and bake some than hunt down a biscuit… And so I did.
ANZAC Biscuits (Source: AWM)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight lockable containers.
The first batch was a bit brown due to the fan forced oven and the dark brown sugar i used.
The 2nd batch. Perfecto!