Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gyu-Don

Eva's Bowl of Gyu-Don.. Mine! Mine! Mine!Gyu-Don -
The Traditional
Japanese Beef Bowl
Ingredients:
1 x 400g Thinly Sliced Beef (Chinese stores have it for sale in their frozen section.) while frozen roughly separate into slices
1 1/3cups of Dashi Stock
5 tbs of Soya Sauce
3 tbs of Mirin
2 tbs of Sugar
1 tbs of Sake
1 onion, thinly sliced


Method:Yummy Sauce!
Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients (except the beef and onion) and bring to boil. Then add the onion and reduce to a simmer. When the onion is soft, bring back to boil and add the beef, stir until beef is cook. then serve over a big bowl of steamed rice with generous ladle of the sauce.

Today I tried to match the famous Yoshinoya Gyu-don bowls tonight. I failed, but it was still pretty good! I didnt realise how easy it was to make these yummy bowls of goodies! I got this recipe from Setsuko Yoshizuka, its does taste great!

Three Bowls of Gyu-Don for Steph Eva and EdEva's comments

I would use brown sugar next time, I have heard it is sweeter than white sugar, and long grain rice does not do this meal justice... Will splurge out and get proper sushi rice. And cook up some chinese veggies.

I had Edmund waiting for the final touches, and his face got rather distressed when I said he couldnt touch while I took photos!

No comments: