Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The use of the english language

In my job i have the fine task of picking up english grammar and context.

Today I was asked to change the word shaded to shrouded

the sentence was:

"Impressive paved and landscaped courtyard, shaded by mature trees and
palms with all day sun"

I was pretty sure shrouded meant something deathly, so i checked and its definition on dictionary.com was - A cloth used to wrap a body for burial; a winding sheet!

So i emailed him back.


Hi

A shroud is what you wrap dead bodies in and the term is used for
cloth not trees.
See The Shroud of Turin - what they wrapped Jesus in
when he died.

I'll do all the other changes but I'm leaving shaded as
is.
Arming the uneducated with a theasarus is a self-destructing human bomb waiting to happen.

then again maybe i should have left it and sent it to rove....

No comments: