Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Hat's off

It's no real secrect that I work for the largest telco here in Australia, Telstra, and that the government is gearing up to sell off the remaining 51% of the company.

But what is a bit of a secret, is how Telstra looks after their staff, contractors included. Yes, it's really amazed me also. It was announced that my Service Centre in Darling park was being shut down last week, through consolidation of sites from about 5, to 2, and thankfully we've been saved, because there've been no job losses here in NSW.

The really amazing thing is, Telstra go out of their way to help you either 1. Find a new role within the company, or 2. Put you somewhere else that suits your skill base.

With my past experiences with other companies I've worked for, if your not required, they'd make you redundant and march you out the door there with little to no other options (usually at Christmas time or at end of finnancial year).

Luckilly I had a choice where I wanted to go, and I have decided to go back out to Parramatta to keep working on the Telstra account. At the moment I'm not prepared to do a graveyard shift or really give up my weekends to work on a helpdesk, any other role, yes I would, but helpdesk? nope, been there done that.

When it boils down, the company looks after it's own and gives you options, something that most other companies wouldn't blink an eye at doing.

Hat's off to Telstra for looking after the team.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

good to hear you're staying on!...not too sure about the comute to Parramatta bit!