Saturday, January 22, 2005

Symphony wrapup

Last night Eva & I joined Andrew & Kathleen, their neighbour Kevin and his friends, Holly and John for a night under the rain clouds in Sydneys' Domain which is a part of the Botanical Gardens.

I think I had stunned Eva a little with my "closet" interest in classical music, Eva's reaction when I said "Yes! I'll go", only because I wanted to see Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture being performed. I also explained to her how my mother tried to educate me in the art of appreciating classical music when I was a wee boy, see end of post "Sydney Weather".

Back to the story!

After a longish walk around Surry Hills and surrounding areas, we made it to "The Domain" at about 4:30pm, now this was the first time I'd been here, and was surprised by the size of the place, it just appeared to be a sound stage, and a large grassed area, great for this kind of event.

We found ourselves a good patch of grass and set out our blankets, and low and behold, a feast for thousands appeared before our eyes as we unloaded our bags. I think Holly & John had done this before somehow and had come prepared to feed a small army, but it was great, we sat and talked, and every 15 minutes or so, we would be invited to enter the SMS competition to win prizes called "symphony trivia". I think I amazed Kath & Andrew with my knowledge of classical music and music in general as I'm well known for listening to nothing other than Techno/Dance music. I even surprised myself how much I had retained after nearly 15 years since my last music lesson!

Eva joined us at about 5:30pm after having to go into work and do some stuff her IT Department should be doing, but that's another tale all together.

Throughout the afternoon, it had threatened to rain, and me being me, forgot the umbrella and any other extra cloting we would need should it 1. Rain and 2. it get suddenly cold. And rain it did for a while, but it didn't really dampen the spirits of the punters that had turned up to listen to the music.

I wasn't really interested in anything that was playing and really I can't remember too much of what the orchestra had played or what the fat lady had sung, except for Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, which has been a favorite of mine since a young child. All I can say, it was fantastic, cannons and fireworks. Then as an encore, they played the entire theme to Starwars (Episode IV) which was fantastic as it was the first time I'd heard it played live.

A great night had by all, and will be doing it all again next year!

No comments: