Sunday, January 16, 2005

Mango Ice Cream & Market wrapup

After yet another successful trip to the Flemington Markets (or Sydney Markets) out in Flemington, we managed to fill the car with copious amounts of fruit and a few vegies. Eva & I normally go once every couple of months and buy enough food to feed a small football team, and share as much as we can offload onto our friends, cause there’s no way we can eat 10kg of grapes! This time round would have been the best thus far based on quality of the produce on offer.

At the Flemington Markets, they don’t really sell by the kg, more like the box, or carton, so if you turn up at say 12pm on Saturday, you can certainly get; 1. An ok car park, 2. Good prices on fresh fruit & vegies.

The markets close at 2pm and the prices start to drop as the clock ticks around to 2pm and you can normally get yourself a good bargain.

Part of our haul was two rather mottled boxes of Mangoes, (or as Eva keeps chirping "Man Go"). We also had some Mangoes that I'd purchased before Christmas sitting in the fridge that were in surprising shape considering how old they were! So I took about cutting away the flesh from mangoes, very messy job! I think I hacked about 8 mangoes in the end, and I had juice from finger to elbow, very tempting to sit there and lick it all up!

After pulping the Mangoes, I was rather surprised to find myself with several litres of pulp; I was thinking 5kg would produce 500ml... Sorely mistaken! I now have 3 or 4 litres of the stuff!

I’ve managed to get some of the way to reaching the bottom of the Mango Pulp Well, and have made a double batch of Mango Ice Cream, (recipe below), which really doesn’t help with me having still enough ice cream mix for a small army!

My mother has kindly suggested we make “Mango Rollups” or something similar, maybe an idea! All I need now is a recipe!

Mango Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
2 cups mango puree
2 cups whipping cream
2 eggs

Beat the eggs with the sugar with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until pale and thick. Fold in the mango puree, and then pour in the whipping cream. Chill for a couple of hours then transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream has formed, scoop it out of the maker into a lidded container and store in freezer until required.

No comments: