As you know Steph got me an ice cream maker for Christmas. (I got him the star wars trilogy DVD - yeah geeky) And I have been in the process of whipping up icy cold desserts. This time I thought I would try to make vanilla ice cream for the following reasons.
- I have always wanted to make it
- Had a lot of milk I needed to use quickly!
Nevertheless the ice cream was "cooked", "cooled" and after testing the mixture several times
We had to freeze before leaving for tassie. (yes the holiday got in the way of making ice cream) Upon our return we churned the frozen mixture which made the mixture light and fluffy. Thus we have vanilla icecream!!!
RICH VANILLA ICE CREAM
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
3 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Stir milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture almost boils. Remove from heat.
2. Beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until smooth and creamy. Slowly stir 1 cup of milk mixture into beaten egg mixture.
3. Return egg mixture to remaining milk in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
4. Place mixture into a pouring jug or bowl, cover and cool. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until mixture is completely chilled.
5. Stir mixture before pouring into rotating Freezer Bowl. Process until desired consistency is achieved.